Skip to main content

The Story of a Young Nigerian Bride


There’s a Yoruba adage that says, “Gbogbo alangba danu bole am'eyi ti inu run,” which means in English “all lizards lie flat on their stomach and it is difficult to determine which has a stomach ache.” In essence, the adage means “everyone looks the same on the outside but everyone has problems that are invisible to outsiders.” The same can be said of marriages – every marriage looks glamorous on the outside, but every marriage has its problem, for some it’s DOMESTIC VIOLENCE.
A lot of women are victims of domestic violence but are ashamed to talk about it. And when they eventually do, they hardly get the help they need, especially in climes like ours where women are taught and encouraged to suffer hardship so they can keep their homes and get to heaven.
In this post, I’m going to talk about the experience of a very young ladyBut not to worry, I’ll make it really brief. So this young lady met her husband at Lagos domestic airport and in five months they were married! Hehe! Love at first sight, Ikr! Oh! Did I mention that he beat her up once during their courtship, but she still married him anyway? Well yeah, she did. She was always putting on the persona of a “happily married woman,” and she was very quick in saying “Oh! My friends admire me,
because I’m married.” Talmbout Oh! I can’t wait to come for your wedding.”

Not long after her wedding, he continued with the abuse, beating her black and blue on several occasions. In less than a year of marriage, he had beaten two pregnancies out of her and he got so fond of hitting her till she bled from her orifices. On one such occasion, he dragged her to a bush and beat her to pulp. Yeah! I kid you not. He isolated her from friends and family, deleted her social media accounts, made her quit her job, and gave her very little amount of money for her upkeep. Sounds tough, yeah? But that’s not the half of it. There was a time he locked her out of the house and traveled for two weeks leaving her with nothing, no money, no change of clothes, nothing!
You know what beats me about all this? It’s the fact that God gave her a clear sign during their courtship, I mean what more proof did she need to know that he was going to be an abusive husband? She ignored the glaring sign and went on to marry her worst nightmare. Now both her parents and parents-in-law incessantly urge her to be patient and endure for the sake of her marriage or marital status.  

TO BE CONTINUED...

TALMBOUT - TELLING ME ABOUT.

What is your take on domestic violence? Would you encourage anyone to stay in an abusive relationship? Would you stay in an abusive relationship? KINDLY DROP YOUR COMMENTS BELOW. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tyler Perry's Acrimony - a review.

So a couple of days back, I took myself on a movie date as usual and I went to see Tyler Perry’s Acrimony, starring Taraji P. Henson and Lyriq Bent. The movie, according to Henson, was shot within 8 days and her part was shot within 5 days. This probably explains some of the loopholes in the movie, cos honestly speaking it hardly hit the mark. Yeah, I said it. It was just another of Tyler Perry’s regular recipe - a black woman who has been a

For the sweet love of perfumes!

I'm a perfume-whore and  this is my confession: I believe perfumes are God’s gifts to man. They are sweet smelling savors that can literally make you feel sexier and closer to heaven. I always say smelling good is good business, and